The topic of fitness studios using Live and On-Demand offerings to reignite revenue streams needs no introduction. Yet, with professionals services costing an arm and a leg, and the need for on-going production, most studios have no choice but to take a DIY approach to introduce content of their own. So we’ve put together this brief guide, to help studios that are stumped on how to do this.
Before kicking off the daunting task of turning your fitness studio into a movie studio, there are a number of considerations that need to be made across both hardware & software, and the endless number of options on the market. Luckily for you, we’ve taken the liberty of distilling your options down to an affordable list of equipment and free software so you can get back to what you do best 💪.
🚨 Disclaimer: This is a round up of simple out-of-the-box solutions we’ve seen studios use. If you’re seeking a professional audio-visual setup through the use of soundboards, streaming encoders, audio press boxes, or multi-angle broadcasts, we recommend consulting a specialist.
- We’ve seen Logitech’s line of webcams really fulfill the need for a crisp HD stream for computer based streaming. Hard to go wrong with this specific model that has been in and out of stock since COVID-19 arrived.
- The Zoom Q2n-4K Handy Video Recorder can be found in stock with many different audio & visual equipment distributors, and is a cheap and reliable camera for studio streaming. The camera comes with a pretty solid built in microphone which should cover your ambient audio needs depending on your studio environment. To connect this to a computer as a webcam you’ll need to grab a quality HDMI cord and HDMI to USB-C converter (or HDMI to USB depending on your computer). Such an implementation will allow you to also connect any other cameras you have laying around that support an HDMI connection (Such as a DSLR).
- While not the most affordable option in terms of relativity, the Mevo Camera is growing in popularity as an out-of-the -box camera for streaming beginners. Worth taking a look if it’s in the budget, and you are new to the space.
- It’s hard to shoot a crisp class session without proper lighting, and therefor we highly recommend getting your hands on a proper studio light or ample natural light. There’s no need to feel required to obtain a specific model, some lighting is better than no lighting.
- For those looking to produce professional on-demand content, it can’t be done without a headset microphone. Without one, you’ll fall victim to diction-less, across-the-room audio, that errodes the value of so many great on-demand workouts that exist on the market today. This is a great option for those looking to get there hands on an affordable wireless option.
- Finally, if you’re truly strapped for cash, you can’t go wrong using an iPhone. Arguably the best camera on the market for such a price point, and allows you to shoot all the way up to 4k at 60fps (However, we recommend shooting video at 1080p and 30 frames per second to keep your file sizes more manageable). By ensuring that you shoot in studio lighting or natural light, you’ll be sure to achieve a quality product.
- iMovie for Mac is hands down the best options for any post-production that does not require special effects. From cutting/pasting, to audio/visual overlays, to basic color correction- these softwares are a one-stop-shop for video post-production. Simply export with a reasonable file size, and you’ll be ready to upload your content into a video hosting platform of your choosing.
- Streamlabs is a great open source resource for studios seeking a branded streaming experience (and have the bandwidth to manage it). It’s a great tool for live streams that feature multiple angles, branded overlays, and additional features. Checkout their site to see more info than we could ever include here.
- Fiverr is a digital marketplace for sourcing micro gigs, especially in regards to video services such as branded intros, outros, and graphics/music. Overall, many of the services on Fiverr can be used to provide end users with a branded viewing experienced.
With any solution you pursuit, it’s imperative that there is a strategy in place for monetizing through your primary booking platform – your user experience and customer satisfaction depends on it.
This is where IPSTUDIO can help. If you’re interested in an integrated approach to live and on-demand video, contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org.